<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 23, 2003

Random Thoughts...


As is evident from the title, I am going in for really random thoughts today. If the reader is wondering as to what the reason could be, it is just that I haven't been able to think of anything to write on. So, here goes...

First of all, I would like to talk about PG Wodehouse. I have been reading a lot of his novels lately, and a friend of mine happened to comment that she could not get past even 50 pages of any of his novels and wondered why anyone would read him. As I am sure most of my friends at my hostel would agree, there are very few people who could write so simply and yet so entertainingly. The similes that he uses, the cynical approach to the class system of Britain, the practicality of actions that his characters display and most importantly the way he packages all these are definitely the signs of a master. The multi-variegated spectrum (forgive the influence of GRE) of characters that he created - the conceited Psmith, the faltering Berty Wooster, the ever useful Jeeves, not to mention the crazy lot that people the Drones Club - is one of the best ones that I ever came across. It is a pity indeed that people find his language "tiring" (my friend again).

Moving on, I have to mention here the controversy that has been going on about there being pesticide content in the products of both Coke and Pepsi in India. Now, where people are quite used to seeing both the cola giants at each others' necks, we in India have been fortunate enough of having witnessed the rare event of these two companies joining arms and even giving not one, but two joint press conferences. Of course, the government did not spring any surprises like that, unfortunately. The Parliamentarians promptly banned the sale of the colas within the Parliament Building, but they obviously could not be expected to be bothered by what was happening to the common man - afterall elections are still one and a half years away.

Speaking of elections, we have seen another unlikely thing happening - the ruling party speaking of early elections!! I mean, in any democracy, it is the opposition that shouts for early elections in the hope of changing sides with the Treasury Benches. But, here, the president of the ruling party himself talks of the possibility of early elections. Is this a rare case of being finally disgusted with the machinations and manipulations required to stay in power while heading a 23-party coalition??

Finally, I have to thank the few readers who have bothered to go through my blog and mailing back to say that it was nice. I am still not sure whether the compliment is genuine or just given out of courtesy. I have a sneeking feeling that it is the latter case, but it sure did a lot good for my ego to have received positive feedback. Thank you!




<< Home