<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 09, 2003

On photocopiers...and my affair with them....


Kora kaagaz tha yeh man mera...
Likh diya naam ispe tera...

Stretching the limits of the relevence of these lines...I am quoting these in reference to that wonderful invention of Chester F. Carlson - the photocopier. Where I would be without this "Xerox" machine, I wouldn't even dare to think about!!

Why this eulogy to the photocopier? It is exam time here in my college and I am sustaining my already rather low CGPA by xeroxed notes. I still remember my first semester when I used to write my own notes. I fared badly then and my CGPA has been low ever since. The only easiest way of enhancing my performance (no pun intended!) was by getting the notes of those few people who dutifully jot down everything that the Prof. says. I mean, what else can one do if one does not want to cheat in exams?

Anyways, as my confidence in the notes of others increased, so did my exam-related expenditure. There's this saying in Telugu which goes something like a beggar having multiple courses during dinner...or something like that! Such was my case - get the notes from not one but two, preferably three guys - more pages to copy implies more money out! Then there was the gargantuan task of actually reading through all that material. On hindsight, I think that my disinterest in mechanical engineering came about by reading all those fundaes over and over again. But, then again, it could be just me...who knows!

The final outcome of all the midnight oil that I burnt was that there was this jumbled, chaotic mass of information in my head....none of which I cared to know in the right order. So, I kept on getting those low grades. Last semester, I must have spent around 500 rupees on these photocopies alone...and I got the lowest grades last sem. So, I have finally decided to kick the Xerox and make my own notes again.

I just had a test today...result of my own notes?? Couldn't recognize more than half the questions.....so I guess its back to good ol' Chester Carlson!!

Read of the day: Flight of the Eagles - Jack Higgins




<< Home