<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Back into the Wilderness....


Ever wondered why people say that 'so-and-so' is back into such-and-such field from the wilderness? Always makes me wonder...I mean, what is the significance of this wilderness? Convention says (or so I expect it to say) that this wilderness is some place where you are lost to others in the world, accessible only to yourself, with no one bothering you. So, is this place really worth being called the wilderness? A place where you are by yourself, able to contemplate and introspect, leading a simple life, away from all (at least most) of the worries that form that shoulder-stooping burden you are, well, burdened with - can you call it the wilderness? So, I guess the phrase should be 'so-and-so' is returning to the wilderness of such-and-such field.

Take the 'real' world, the world 'out there'. Is it really so safe compared to the literal wilderness, with all its wild beasts? I hardly think so. We have more than our share of the wolves and foxes waiting to just pounce upon us at the first available opportunity. I find too much cynicism here in the world and hence more of a lost feeling than when I am with myself, doing nothing - not even thinking. Maybe I am also cynical - well, cut out that "maybe", I am cynical - but, what is it that makes so many of us 'watch out for ourselves'? Beats me......

If you are wondering where this is going, dear reader, I can't help you because I don't know the answer myself. The actual reason I started writing all this bullshit above was 'coz I was coming back to blogging after a long break and was thinking of an appropriate title for this post and hit on what you see at the top - that just got me rolling and since I am stuck here, I shall stop for now. Anyway, I am happy to tell you all that I got an admit into the PhD program in Mechanical Engineering at the Ohio State University. I am pleasantly surprised myself, and of course, I accept all the congratulations that may come my way now - perhaps that is what people call wishful thinking. I can't imagine myself doing all that work needed for a PhD, but maybe I can manage it. But I am sure that I can't ever get used to having a "Dr." before my name.

Well, not much time to blog now, got my CAT tomorrow, and I haven't yet seen anyone with as pathetic a preparation as mine. So I got to get my ass off from in front of the computer and head to some temples and try to get the Big One on my side before it is to late. See ya all folks.......




<< Home