<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 28, 2004

Random Ramblings II


Continuing with the random musings…

We are, as a lot, bad gifters. Maybe I should say, bad gift-givers, since Word says there is no word as gifters. Anyway, there was this birthday party of this five-year old kid of one of our relatives – I can’t go into the exact relation; too long and complicated to bother explaining it here. Anyway, since they were not so close that we knew what we could give and also since they were not that far off to skip the party, we were in a quandary as to what could be given in such a case. Finally we decided that cash was the best bet. Anyway, I know of many people who are simply as clueless as I am when it comes to giving gifts. Of course, I do know of some people who are like the best damn ones also, but the former form the majority. Most of us escape through the route we took: give cash and wash your hands off! Then again, there is a dilemma in this too – how much to give? Of course it depends on the receiver, but even then, it is almost impossible to come at the right figure – one is always left with the feeling, “Did I give too much or too little?” Well, some questions just have this damn nagging effect and they just won’t and can’t be answered. Sort of like, “Did I turn off all the lights / the gas stove?”

Kids – like them, hate them, you can’t ignore them, especially when you have doting grand-parents to keep reminding you of their respective grandchildren’s unique qualities. I have observed that however much parents praise their children, they almost always draw the line somewhere, lest the kid get too spoilt. The same people, upon becoming grand-parents simply turn a blind eye to the irritating things the “tiny tots” do. They would undoubtedly have at least reprimanded their own kids for the same actions. I have seen this happen with quite a few of my uncles and aunts who turned grand-parents recently. Seeing accounts of kids nowadays, it definitely seems that the present generations are getting smarter by the minute. Anyway, it still surprises me to see people applying different standards to their children and their grand-children. Can anyone tell me why?

Bank managers – they sure do act weirdly! As I mentioned in some previous post (in case I haven’t, please read on, you haven’t missed much), I am doing the rounds for a bank loan to show funds for my stay in the US of A. Unless you happen to know someone high up enough on the bank ladder, the managers seem to be suffering from a serious superiority complex. I mean, I always thought that banks made profits by lending the money that few depositors leave with them, and getting back higher interests than they give out to the same depositors. Now, approach any bank for a loan, and you see the bank manager go like, “It’s your problem that you need a loan, and since I am in the position to grant that loan, I am somehow greater than you. So, I can treat you like dirt, if not like shit!” Well, I know that it is indeed too much to expect professionalism from employees of nationalized banks, and all that, but isn’t it a bit too much when you know and they know that the salaries they get are by lending such loans to people like us and they could, hence, be a bit more helpful? Is that asking for too much? Now, mention some name of an acquaintance who is some big officer or some union representative and you can see the change in the attitude – they become all nice and helpful. Maybe it is something that is inherent in all people in authority; maybe it is just seen in some people, but I am yet to see a manager who is willing to help even though you don’t have the “right” contacts.

Soccer - the great cable networks in Hyderbad play spoil-sport now. Some problem with the amount outstanding and the bloody networks start disconnecting the channel on which matches of Euro 2004 are being shown!! They should have settled this way before the tournaments started!

Too long a post already… I think that would be all for today.


Comments: Post a comment

<< Home