<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 21, 2005


I have always been a very voracious reader of books of all kinds, and this subject comes up from time to time when I talk to my friends. They always ask me, "So, how many books did you read since we last talked and any you would suggest?" And I always had a pretty decent answer to both questions. However of late, I haven't been exactly up-to-date on my reading. As some of you might remember (I wish!!), I used to read a lot. Since I came to OSU, well, to the US infact, I haven't read more than 3 books I haven't read before. I can't believe it myself. It only hit me when a friend exclaimed, "What's happening dude?! Just three!!" I guess that this is one of the main things I feel is bad about the States. I mean, too much work to do when there is work. When there's no work, all I can think of is sleep and laze off... No time to read. In India, happily, the time I used to work was allotted to reading books, and so I used to get time to laze around as much as I wanted. I miss those days.

Anyway, what the intended topic of this post is how some people say that they didn't read LOTR simply 'coz "there are too many characters to keep track of"!! How many are there? Having read it twice already (and planning a triple soon, hopefully), I can assure you there are not many infact. How can anyone stop reading such a good book for whatever reason? There are some other books as well which my friends give this reason for, but LOTR sticks up maybe because I heard that excuse about the book from quite a few people in a very short time. The god-damn best book I've read to date, and there are people who say its too painful to keep track of (at maximum) 15 important characters!! And I used to think I was lazy!!! Well, people should realize that some books are worth reading however difficult they may be to read - and for that reason alone must be read even if they don't like reading as such. Well, I know that this post doesn't mean anything to anyone else, but I had to shout out somewhere...

As a proud IIT-M alumnus, I want to tell all those who maybe able to go that IIT Madras' culfest Saarang is on from today, infact I think it must be starting in maybe an hour. Those who can, please do go - this year looks more promising than last year; and last year was simply the most awesome edition of the fest for a long long time...


Comments: Post a comment

<< Home